Saturday 21 April 2012


So the new series of Lip Service started last night and to be honest, it's difficult to know exactly what to make of it. For the most part I really enjoyed the first series and was happy to overlook the odd bit of dodgy acting and clunky dialogue. After all, you have to love the BBC and Harriet Braun for finally producing a show like this, even if occasionally it felt a bit like Hollyoaks for lesbians.
But last night, I just couldn't get into it. Fiona Button, as always, was simply brilliant as Tess and there were a few other  performances worth a mention. Laura Fraser was charming as Cat and I enjoy Ruta Gedmintas' portrayal of the damaged, but sexy Frankie; I just wish occasionally she would smile.
My main issue last night was the dialogue, which just didn't feel authentic and occasionally made me uncomfortable. I wanted to love it; I wanted to laugh out loud; but unfortunately I found the episode was lacking something and at the end, I felt slightly disappointed.
On a more positive note, I'm hoping these were just teething problems and that as the show progresses, it will pick up some of the cool energy and pace, so abundant in the last series.
I don't want to be too critical. The show looks great, there were some enjoyable scenes, like when Cat got stoned and tried unsuccessfully to sober up before giving her presentation.
Also, it is thoroughly refreshing to finally see lesbians depicted in a "mostly" positive light.
So a thumbs halfway up for Lip Service 2, but sharpen up that dialogue...please.

No comments:

Post a Comment