Sunday 29 April 2012

Lip Service Episode 2- I didn't see THAT coming (and apparently neither did Cat)


Okay okay... I know what you're thinking... Perhaps I was a little harsh with my comments about episode one of the new series of Lip Service. But hell, I can admit when I'm wrong and let's be honest,  episode two was a bloody revelation! (Pardon the tasteless pun). I for one did NOT see that coming!
So there I was, settling down to another episode, willing it to be better than the first, when all of a sudden, whammo! Cat, reading a text from her secret lover Frankie, steps out into the road and ...well, you know the rest!
So with Cat meeting a rather grisly end, all that remained was for Sergeant Sam to organise and attend the funeral and for Frankie to get shit-faced and have a kip in the graveyard.
Seriously though, the acting and script in this episode were of the highest order and I was gripped from start to finish.  Heather Peace in particular delivered a flawless and totally convincing performance, so much so in fact, that at times, her grief was almost too difficult to watch. Fiona Button was also excellent (but isn't she always- my word that girl can act) and Ruta Gedmintas was also spot on, with her handling of some very sensitive subject matter. The dialogue too was a vast improvement on last week; believable and moving throughout, without ever once drifting into the realms of cheap sentimentality.
I should probably mention that I did notice the odd strange edit and on one occasion I completely lost the plot, when we skipped from one scene to another in what felt like a completely nonsensical way, but really I'm clutching at straws.
All in all, a terrific episode, with a tight script, solid direction and some thoroughly heartbreaking performances. In fact, I'd go as far as saying I think it's the best one yet.

Very well done Lip Service. Lots more like that please. :)

T x

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! So this is why none of my FB friends from the UK will answer my questions about what happened! Good blog....I would not have seen this coming, either. Someday I will watch the episode when I purchase the DVD, but I am not looking forward to seeing Sam's sorrow. That's going to be tough.
    Now what's going to happen??? It seems a bit unusual to kill off a main character in the second season. It does do one thing, though, it guarantees everyone will be tuning in next week to see what does happen! Thanks, again, for letting us overseas folks know what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Karen...Really hope I didn't spoil it for you!
    T x

    ReplyDelete