Saturday 12 May 2012

Interview with Indie writer, Rosen Trevithick


Best selling indie author, Rosen Trevithick, talks to me about her latest collection Seesaw, her influences and ambitions, and multi-coloured teapots. 








Rosen Trevithick is one of a new breed of author; talented novelists who have turned away from the big publishers and struck out on their own.  A proud indie writer, Rosen is passionate about her work and has achieved some remarkable early success; publishing her own work and hitting the top spot in the Amazon rankings numerous times.
Rosen has so far written two novels and a selection of short stories, which she has recently brought together in a brilliant collection, Seesaw.
A Cornish writer, now living in Devon, Rosen’s life ambitions are to write a worldwide bestseller, own a rainbow-coloured teapot and have her own cat. She claims to have achieved two of these.




Rosen, Your new collection of short stories Seesaw is doing very well in the UK charts right now. Tell us a bit about it?

Originally, I wrote a couple of novels, such as the bisexual comedy romance, Straight Out of University. I wrote a series of short stories to grab the interest of new readers. However, the short stories ended up popular in their own right, so I put them together in a collection, called Seesaw.

Did you always want to be an author?

Yes, I think I did. There were brief interludes during which I was momentarily distracted by dreams of being a Radio Cornwall presenter or a forensic psychologist, but my heart always ended up heading back to writing.

Who or what has been the greatest influences on your writing?

Roald Dahl was my favourite author as a child. He taught me how much fun books can be. Aside from that, I would say I'm more influenced by experiences than other writers. When interesting things happen, I feel a strong desire to make them into stories.

How would you characterise your work?

My work varies a lot. I've written some serious psychological fiction, but I feel most comfortable when I'm writing comedy. I'm quite an opinionated person and there's often a political undercurrent, for example raising awareness about bisexuality, challenging our perception of what is an acceptable form of love, or de-stigmatising mental illness.

Which piece of writing are you the most proud of and why?

I'm proud of different pieces for different reasons. Perhaps London, the Doggy and Me is the funniest, but there will always be a special place in my heart for Footprints because it was my first novel, and then there's Seesaw, which is my only paperback. There's something about holding your own paperback in your hands, which is hard to rival.




What kind of books do you like to read?

At the moment I'm reading books by other indie writers. I've read a few books with a lesbian theme such as A Hole in the World and The Lost Resort. I'm also reading highly recommended Kindle books from a variety of genres, such as those by Steve Robinson, Shaun Jeffrey and David Wailing.

Are you working on anything at the moment?

I'm currently writing a humorous mystery novel about a group of indie writers who go to a writers' retreat and afterwards, find that the plots of their stories start to come true. It will be available later this summer.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers hoping to get published?

I'd take the focus off getting published and empower them to put themselves out there as an indie. The market is changing. You don't need a publisher to get your work read these days. Aspiring writers should focus on getting at least one idea down on paper, and once they're happy with it, try sharing it with friends. If they like it, why not self-publish an eBook? It's not an all or nothing publishing world anymore.

What do you think are the greatest challenges facing a writer today?

Getting noticed is the hardest part. There are so many books out there, that even if your writing is superb, unless you do an awful amount of promotion and have a great amount of luck, people might not even notice that your book is there.
It's also very difficult to earn a living from writing. Authors usually get a very small cut from a paperback sale, and eBooks tend to be so cheap that even a writer selling ten thousand copies a year, might not be earning equivalent of the minimum wage.

What is it that really motivates you as a writer?

I just really love writing. Getting feedback from other people is motivating, but I was writing long before I was sharing.



Rosen’s published works are listed on her website http://rosentrevithick.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment